Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thankful Thursdays: To-ma-to, To-mah-to Part II

Here we go again...One might think, what on Earth could a tomato have to do with Heaven Sown Event Planning? Allow me enlighten you.

A while back we shared a testimony about our amazement after finding a volunteer Roma Tomato plant in our flower bed. Well, last night, we decided to go straight Southern with our salmon croquettes, buttered white rice, and fried green tomaters. :)

As I sat there frying my lucious tomatoes while my 3 little angels drooled in the kitchen, I remember thinking...I'm actually enjoying the fruit of minimal labor in our now, garden mound. I reflected on my excitement over finding our jewels in the garden...and thought...Ok, God, yes, I see how you're making provision even in small things.

I was reminded that yes, He knows exactly what we need when we need it...even if we might not agree at that very moment....and in due time when the timing is just right, when we least expect it, a seed that was planted will bring forth fruit..and in our case, our tomato plant has almost taken over our mound!

And with that, I was contented...with knowing that:
our God orders our footsteps when we allow Him to
He shows us where to plant....or in our case, plants for us
He nurtures the seeds that are planted.
He makes things bloom in the perfect timing....
and when we're ready, we can partake in His blessings


So, today, I'm incredibly grateful to God for:
the seeds He's giving us...
the direction He's giving us...
and prayerfully, our ability to follow His direction in due time and due season.

If our small business never becomes one able to solely provide for our household, I'm slowly growing ok with that. Allow me to be transparant when I say that I so want "this" that I truly enjoy...from the baby bibs and toddler books to our floral designs and my hubby's cheesecakes ....to be a full-time opportunity to show how God can honor giftings that I think we've been given. Especially when I see how my oldest son gravitates to the creativity we express with everything that leaves our virtual office. I want to be an example that following your dreams actually gets you somewhere....but for now, I'll just keep listening, sowing, and praying, while we enjoy our fried green tomatoes.

I thought it might be fitting to share the recipe with you....oh and by the way, these tomoatoes are scrupmtious with a good bottle of remoulade....maybe its the Cajun in me. Enjoy!



My Mooched Fried Green Tomato Recipe taken from my favorite recipe site: Allrecipes Thanks Diana Swenson-Siegel for sharing this awesome southern dish!! Ingredients:
4 large green tomatoes
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I sub with Townhouse crackers)
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 quart vegetable oil for frying


Instructions:
1.Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick. Discard the ends.
2.Whisk eggs and milk together in a medium-size bowl. Scoop flour onto a plate. Mix cornmeal, bread crumbs and salt and pepper on another plate. Dip tomatoes into flour to coat. Then dip the tomatoes into milk and egg mixture. Dredge in breadcrumbs to completely coat.
3.In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil (enough so that there is 1/2 inch of oil in the pan) and heat over a medium heat. Place tomatoes into the frying pan in batches of 4 or 5, depending on the size of your skillet. Do not crowd the tomatoes, they should not touch each other. When the tomatoes are browned, flip and fry them on the other side. Drain them on paper towels.


Note: Use only egg whites to ensure they came out super crispy and crunchy. Egg yolks can make fried foods a little greasy and sometimes soggy.

Interested in reviewing our Part I testimony? Click here.

No comments: