Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"D-licious" Breakfast Quiche

...quoted from my middle son...so, I'm not tooting my own horn, by the way. My husband, a man of few words said, "Good quiche!"...I'll take that. and it was so easy, I couldn't help but share for anyone else who's trying to think of good ways to expedite the morning routine without spending a ton or slaving to get a hot breakfast before work/school.

So there are three reasons I wanted to make a quiche


  1. I needed a filling alternative for 3 boys and a husband
  2. I needed an inexpensive alternative for 3 boys and a husband.
  3. We had a dozen left over eggs from a cheesecake order and I wanted to eat every one before they expired...today!
  4. (I guess 4 reasons) It’d been a long time since I’d made one (I have tried seafood ones before, like crab or shrimp)….so I thought I’d try my hand at a breakfast one.

So I started with this one, thanks to one of my favorite recipe sites, AllRecipes: Breakfast Pie 
But didn’t want to make individual ones…because I had some generic brand pie crusts. I would normally add chopped onions or bell peppers in these, but the boys are acting finicky about veggies these days and I didn’t want to have to chop them really small to hide them. With the heat these days, I’ve been trying to think smarter on how I cook. By no means have I excelled at this, but I’m trying…so, for example, when I cooked bacon for shrimp and grits, I cooked a whole pack at once so that I could use it for something else. I’m sure there are those of you who have been doing this for years and I’m just behind the ball….baby steps.

I did the same thing with our Johnsonville Andouille sausage (my new favorite)


…which will go in our omelets tonight…because yes, I still have 8 more eggs to cook.

Anyway, you’re here to read about quiche.

So I tweaked the recipe as follows.

Ingredients

• ½ of a Jimmy Dean Maple breakfast sausage link or log or whatever you call it
• about 6 strips of crumbled bacon
• 1 regular sized pre-made pie crust
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 3 tablespoons milk
• 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
• Black pepper to taste

Directions

  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
  • In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat cook sausage until evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
  • Beat 4 eggs, add in milk, black pepper and beat again.
  • Add in meats and whatever else you like (onions, peppers, etc) to milk/egg combo and poor into pie crust.
  • Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, or until filling is set.

The verdict? All but my 4 year old liked…he seems to think pies are only for apples. I must convert him.

The pluses? One can tailor it anyway they like and from start to finish…mainly because some of the meat was already prepared... it took all of 15 minutes to prep and 20 minutes to cook. Oh, and you can make them with leftovers ingredients, just like homemade pizza!

I wanted to make sure the boys would like this..but I could easily see making 2 and freezing one. Yikes…never frozen a pie before…but looks like others have passed with flying colors.

Stay tuned...

No comments: